Legal Counsel - Commercial and GDPR
Legal & Compliance · London, Luxembourg, St. Ingbert
A little bit about us
We are an ambitious company founded in 1996 and listed on the London Stock Exchange (CNIC), which is growing quickly through acquisition. We live and breathe our values and are committed to the growth of our business that we achieve through the growth and development of our people. We are successful because we recognise that our people are at the core of everything we do. Our mission is to enable the global economy to achieve its online aspirations.
What we do
As the developer and operator of software platforms, we provide web presence services to customers in over 180 countries. We are a leading provider of tools required to create websites, use email, and secure business online. Headquartered in London, the Group generates revenue and income from the worldwide sale of internet domain names and hosting on an annual subscription basis. CentralNic is also currently expanding its monetisation offering to acquire traffic and optimise online marketing activities. To learn more about the company, please go to our website www.centralnic.com.
CentralNic is looking for experienced Commercial and GDPR Legal Counsel to join its Legal team. Reporting into the Head of Legal, this role will ideally be based in London, where we will be taking a hybrid approach post-pandemic. This role sits within a diverse and international team where you will be working with colleagues located in London and Luxembourg and provides a fantastic opportunity to gain exposure across the group, dealing with a variety of experts within the tech industry.
As our Legal Counsel, you will work across the organisation providing legal advice to the CentralNic portfolio of companies, working with multiple stakeholders across continents. This is an exciting role that provides extensive opportunities to work alongside the wider team on a wide array of legal issues arising from CentralNic operations, that will not be strictly limited to your area of core expertise. The position holder will be the SME and will have broad exposure to a number of projects, working independently to review contracts and put policies in place.
Key outcomes of the role will include:
Commercial and IP
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial contracts working closely with CentralNic commercial and sales leads;
- Advise the business on tender processes and participating in contractual negotiations with a range of customers, suppliers, and partners in different sectors;
- Advise on a broad range of legal matters, including contracts, transactions, regulations, claims, and litigations;
- Work on a wide range of IP-related contracts (licenses, assignments, service agreements, etc.), provide legal guidance and develop policies on IP-related matters,
- Handle external complaints from customers, requests from authorities, IP rights holders, etc.
- Handle the IP portfolio of the CentralNic group (strategy, enforcement, etc.) and take charge of assigned legal issues across all relevant jurisdictions where CentralNic operates;
- Maintain the legal repository for commercial contracts including access rights;
- Be a recognized business partner and build strong relationships. Negotiate in a constructive way (facilitate business, rather than being an obstacle), and find solutions with customers;
- Be part of a global Privacy team that provides world-class Privacy by Design and compliance support and contractual legal support to a wide range of internal stakeholders.
- Become a global business partner supporting the commercial and technology strategy and shaping their initiatives to ensure privacy is at the heart.
- Advise on global privacy topics such as commercial marketing, adtech, Big data, and AI, Blockchain, Networks, IT Services, Cloud and Cyber Security;
- Liaise with local market privacy contacts on global assessments to ensure any local requirements are accommodated for;
- Foster privacy culture through regular engagements with Business Owners, providing training and awareness;
- Support regular Policy Compliance Reviews that verify compliance with CentralNic Policies and activities;
- Develop and embed templates, advice, guidance, and processes with the objective of making the negotiation of data protection terms more efficient and effective. This includes leveraging internal policy and procedure to ensure that all available tolls are used.
- European qualifications in law (bar exam is an advantage).
- 4+ years experience in legal and privacy in a law firm or as an in-house counsel, preferably in the tech sector, with experience in commercial, contract management, and disputes;
- Generic knowledge of commercial issues (advertising, assignment of rights, service agreements, image rights, etc.);
- A track record in IP law (soft IP, software, IP portfolio management, and prosecution) and contract law (IP-related agreements and more);
- Good understanding of global privacy landscape in commercial and technology businesses, and experience in negotiating contracts and data protection clauses;
- Excellent command of English, (additionally German language is an advantage) and excellent interpersonal, oral, written communication and influencing skills;
- Comfort in working in a matrix organisation and persistence to drive change over time;
- Ability to analyse complex information and identify key and relevant points, including communicating in a relevant and easy to understand manner;
Experience and skills that will help you succeed
- A proven track record in IP law and contracts
- Experience in the tech industry
- The ability and skills to own and take responsibility for legal issues across many jurisdictions
- Passion for technology-driven and consumer-led business
What’s in it for you?
There are many reasons to come on board our team of talented professionals, but here are just a few…
- We are collaborative, fair, consciously inclusive, and flexible
- We trust, value, and support our people to make the difference
- We believe that diversity of thought and experience provides the platform for innovation and creativity
- We invest in the development of our people to drive our ambitions forward
- We offer a range of benefits (including your choice of tech) and a competitive package
- We offer a great work environment in an internationally successful enterprise in the online services industry
- Our process will consist of an initial conversation with a member of our People team to make sure your expectations of the role are aligned with the business needs. There will then be a competency-based interview with the Hiring Manager
- We are working remotely at the moment but will be taking a hybrid approach post-pandemic.
- We aim to keep you informed throughout the process so we will be communicative and transparent throughout (which also happens to be one of our company values)! ☺
The role will ideally be based at our London Office. We embrace flexible working and are happy to discuss suitable arrangements that will work for everyone.
If you need assistance completing an application for a position with us, please reach out to our Recruiting Team at email@example.com